Simplifying your summer grilling is essential in my books. By using fresh, simple and good quality seasonal ingredients, you can make some really easy recipes in literally no time at all. In summer it’s all about maximizing those warm summer nights grilling outside and minimizing the time you spend in the kitchen. Enter this grilled salmon salad. Light, zesty (thanks to the herby chermoula), and healthy, this is the perfect midweek dinner. It’s also beautiful and easy enough to make for an impromptu dinner party, which in my mind is the greatest gift because who wants to be stuck slaving away in the kitchen when you’ve got friends over?
I have to say the best thing about making this dish in particular is that I was lucky enough to cook with All-Clad’s Rectangular Outdoor Stainless Steel Roaster.Like many All-Clad pans, this roaster is madefrom durable stainless steel so it can withstand high temperatures making it perfect for the barbeque. It’s perforated so the smoke from the grill adds great flavour to both the asparagus and the salmon without me having to worry about the spears slipping through the grill grates or the fish skin sticking. Not to forget, these pans are dishwasher safe, making the cooking clean up that much easier.
Now back to the food. Smokey grilled salmon, charred asparagus, fresh peas and a simple lemony-yoghurt dressing…need I say more? Honestly, summer grilling is all simplicity and seasonality. Check out your local farmer’s markets, buy colourful ingredients, experiment with different flavours, these are the joys of cookin. Now turn on that grill and try this dish!
Grilled Salmon Salad with Asparagus and Chermoula
Cook time: 15 min
Prep time: 10 min
1.5lbs Sustainably farmed salmon
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
½ bunch asparagus, tough stalks trimmed
1 lemon, halved and zested
½ cup fresh peas
¼ red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup baby romaine hearts
½ cup plain greek yoghurt
1 tsp toasted cumin seeds
1 garlic clove, grated
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
2 tbsp toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the grill to medium high heat. Coat the salmon and asparagus spears with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place on the roasting tray. Slice half the lemon into thin rounds and place on top of the salmon flesh.
2. Roast the salmon for 12-15 minutes until slightly firm to the touch. Remove the asparagus around 8-10 minutes, turning it halfway until charred.
3. Meanwhile, place the red onion into a bowl of ice water to draw out the bitterness.
4. In a small bowl combine the greek yoghurt, toasted cumin, 1 tsp of lemon zest, the juice of half a lemon, grated garlic, fresh chopped herbs and remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. To serve, spread a couple tablespoons of the yoghurt dressing on the platter. Toss the remaining dressing with the romaine hearts, red onion, and fresh peas until well coated. Tip the salad on top of the yoghurt and top with the asparagus spears. Gently flake the salmon into large pieces and arrange on top of the salad. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and serve.